Thursday, 25 June 2026

Hot!!!!

 The heatwave arrived here properly today..30⁰ (and 32 further South in Dumfries and Galloway). Nothing compared to where I was in Limoges...39⁰...and 41 a little further South.

Oddly enough this evening's Duolingo session was about la canicule...heatwave...and grêle..hail...

windows and curtains. and blinds all shut and a good book...and computer..indoors all day.

Not the front window as I was expecting a delivery today which arrived just after 5.30 pm. The driver was a courteous young Sikh..I offered him a cool drink of water, which was welcomed. The bottle of drink in his van would have been hot! He wouldn't have seen people at every drop..but it sounded as if this was the first drink he had been offered. 

Something we should make a point of doing this weather.

Tonight I'm on the sofabed downstairs where it is cooler. I'm very glad I managed to buy it !!



northwest to the sunset..and to the southeast a fairly fast moving cloud..at 9.35pm.
there isn't much cooling breeze at ground level


12 comments:

Red said...

You do what you can to keep cool.

Susan Heather said...

Wow, that is hot. Wintery here.

angela said...

It’s nice you offered the cold drink. During the summer many people will stop and supply road workers with cold drinks. They really appreciate it.
I dread to think how hot your home is. I remember all your houses are built to keep the heat in, not out.
Glad you got the sofa bed

Bovey Belle said...

I'm on the sofa too. Not much room to roll over so I wake a bit "crooked". Too hot to do anything - though a lady I met at the Spinners/Dyers/Weavers asked if I was going today. Nope, sorry, hiding indoors again.

gz said...

I bought a sofabed for visitors last year..an improvement on just a sofa..although a mattress topper might be in order for comfort!

gz said...

the insulation added in 2017(wrapping) and 2024 (upgrading the loft insulation) has helped keep the heat out as well as keeping it in in Winter

Susan said...

The high heat is stressful. Your sofa bed on the first-floor sounds like a cooler and good option for sleeping in the heat. The bed was a great purchase and not only for guests.
I also provide ice water to anyone that comes to my house.

Steve Reed said...

Very thoughtful to offer the delivery man a drink. You're right -- we should all be looking after each other that way. We don't have much breeze here either. I've retreated to the air-conditioned comfort of Cafe Nero!

Jeanie said...

What a lovely thing to offer the delivery guy. You are a good person.

Mary and Chris said...

We would be more than happy to share our air conditioner with you. I don't like complaining, but this is the most difficult time of the year for me. I hope you find plenty of lovely ways to stay cool and make the most of the summer heat.

gz said...

Air con makes me feel very uncomfortable. I prefer to balance the ventilation and at most use a fan

Tigger's Mum said...

Thoughtful of you to realize iced water might be in order for someone delivering all day in that heat. We are so unaccustomed to closing windows and curtains to keep heat out but my brothef quickly taught me the importance when I went to live with him in Aus.