Wednesday, 24 June 2026

Slightly cooler...or rather slightly less hot!

 This morning was fresh...it may have even rained a little overnight. Looking at the forecast today was to be the coolest of the week. thanks to a light breeze from the northwest. 

The usual two bus journey..and straight back again as by 11 it was beginning to get hotter. Ayr is a couple of degrees warmer than home! It must have reached mid 20s there.

A relaxing hibernating afternoon, with the bread maker gently churning in the kitchen.

I've changed the recipe from 50:50 white and wholemeal, now using 50:25:25....white. wholemeal wheat and wholemeal rye flour.

So far that is making a tasty and nice textured loaf.

Gardening after supper...a little more fruit picking then beginning the job of restraining the thug of a laurel bush ( tree??!!) which is hanging over the fence, compost bin and kilnshed.  Work was brought to a halt by the midgies!! 

Then sitting in the front garden while I aired the house and watched the sunset

starlings lining up on the ridge before roosting under next door's roof tiles

my meado wew!











9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are having a crazy June lots of rain storms, flooded streets and basements mixed in with sunny days. The star of my garden is a columbine. Great photos. Jean in Winnipeg but born in Edinburgh!

Susan Heather said...

Your meadow is looking good.

Tigger's Mum said...

Nice meadow flowers
I wouldn't feel guilty about clipping the wings on that laurel - they are indeed thugs but its what makes them good at being hedges

gz said...

It is a problem. when he moved in twenty or so years ago he found that the vendors of the house had just cut it to ground level. Who knows how big the root system is! It doesn't support nesting birds as he believes, but they do perch there. Insects thrive on the flowers and blackbirds go crackers over the fruit.
It does hide my kiln shed which is good, but is now shading my garden in winter afternoons

gz said...

I love columbines..aka aquilegia..especially the sigle flowered darker colours.

Susan said...

A 20 yr. Laural must be huge. It definitely sounds like it needs a good trim.
Your meadow is fantastic. I am looking at a web site called American Meadows and am considering buying seeds to start a meadow.

Mary and Chris said...

I've already pulled up a chair in my imagination, poured myself a cup of coffee, and settled into your garden. I'm watching the sunset, breathing in the fresh air, and, for a little while, it truly feels as though I'm there. Your photos painted those images so vividly.

Steve Reed said...

Nice wildflower meadow! You even have some orchids there! Mid-20s sounds heavenly to me. We were about 32º today.

jeanie said...

I inherited my dad's pruning genes - go hard, most plants love a good, hard prune!