Sunday 24 June 2018

gardening

 Pirate has started sorting the waterbutts..we have guttering for the workshop and sheds, but need fittings.
 I've been netting the beds..and planning the next one,for fruit.
 Today's incentive was the blackbirds stripping the yet to ripen redcurrants!
The gooseberrys were ripe enough to use for cooking, so I cropped them, and found a fresh Magpie Moth. This was once a pest of goosberry and currant bushes..
 

 I'm not sure if this caterpillar is related, but the colours are similar...I've now found that it is!
 This one was on the elderflowers..
 and the elderflowers are now with petals from the Comte de Chambord rose, making,hopefully,cordial.


and so to bed...

 and now just after 11pm....from the front, then the back of the house...





5 comments:

Anna said...

a pretty moth - I hope the caterpillar doesn't eat too much. As you get the shorter nights so we go to longer days but somehow our mornings get colder!

Barbara Rogers said...

You've had a busy day, and the two opposite poles at 11 pm are beautiful! (No poles east/west, wonder what proper term would be....)

Avus said...

My, you are a busy couple of bees! I don't think I have ever seen before a magpie moth. Don't begrudge, for her rareity, her caterpillars a share of the gooseberry bushes.

Joanne Noragon said...

I have such a prejudice against moths. I think they are hairy and dusty and thick and unlovely, unlike butterflies. Shame on me.

Carol said...

(0)