Friday 28 September 2018

Foraging

I've been hard at work foraging...and making cordials, chutneys and preserves.

It amazes me how much fruit is around..even the birds and animals don't eat it all, so I'm not depriving them.

Time and busyness and travelling meant I missed most of a wonderful blackberry harvest. The cold winds, rain and now frost have dealt with the masses of fruit left,leaving it soggy or shrivelled.

However, the weather has brought on a lovely crop of sloes and hawthorn berries. The only fruit I haven't picked so far are rosehips.  I'm hoping to find some Rosa Rugosa hips..nice and big, so less work processing them!

3 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Well done.

Avus said...

Yes, we'll be using the sloes to make sloe gin. used to wait until they had had a frost on them before picking, but by then most had gone. Sowe pick them fresh and freeze them for a bit - seems to work just as well.

Amy said...

I've never really tried to forage before but the closest probably I'm getting is looking forward to picking some things out of the vege garden and the fruit trees when they're ready.