Monday 15 April 2019

kiln design and mending

I'm working on the design for the kiln flue,using what we have already.
One piece of ceramic fibre and mesh flue I've never used, as it didn't fit the previous site...luckily I kept it...
Its a bit battered at one end,but I do have some spare CF blanket...
The main problem is working out what is needed for the damper section, and the join between this fibre flue with an internal of 6" x 7"....and a round stainless steel flue of 8" diameter...I have two 45 degree bends to turn the corner to the vertical flue.
Unfortunately the old damper section went for scrap, as it was rusted through, and the CF join to the kiln went with it
However as we still have the straight section,  its a guide to making another to go on a section that will have to be manufactured from new.

The kiln itself needs quite a bit of tlc, after its "lying down" antics....

This job needs temperatures of over 5C for the kiln cement to work...luckily it has been stored in the house while we were away!   Looking at the weather forecast I should be able to get on with this by the weekend if not before.
I'm not sure how to bring the back of the roof arch up again-that was subsiding in 2012 before the two moves...but once we're on to the job hopefully a solution will appear!

Meanwhile I'm busy with pen and paper....


4 comments:

Catalyst said...

(o)

Joanne Noragon said...

Oh, I wish I could help!

betty-NZ said...

Wow, if I had a kiln I would get absolutely nothing else done!!

Susan Heather said...

Looks like a lot of work to do. Good luck