Thursday 27 August 2020

Chutney at last!

 Winterspice Beetroot done, with lime and ginger.



I cheated and bought some extra beetroot..I sowed ours in a patch that was too rich and we are getting a lot of leaf! Still, both ends taste good.

Next on the list is carrot and garlic. The last time I made it we only got to eat one jarful as the rest flew off the shelf as presents!! The feedback (pun not intended!!) was so good I will make another batch. 

I found the recipe on the downsizer.net forum recipe base (which I think anyone can access) and it is an adapted version of Sophie Grigson's recipe. As she says if I remember rightly it is the nearest she managed to the M&S carrot chutney..and it is!!

The weather has been miserable, we have more showers today..chilly in August!!

I am trying to work on time management to treat selling like working. It seems to be better for both of us, setting a block aside for cleaning (him! After all it is his bike stuff) and computer work. We managed to have a short walk in a weather window yesterday and he did a couple of laps around a local circuit while I got the chutney under way.

8 comments:

Fresca said...

These flavors sound delicious.
Lime + ginger? Zowee!!! YUM

Steve Reed said...

We're chilly here too, but I kind of like it. (Probably not as chilly as you!)

Lettice said...

Got the recipe, I will definitely make some. And next scrumping harvest is quinces, cobnuts too! Just opposite our gate hanging laden from the tree, just begging to be picked... when the time is right obviously.

LX

gz said...

Ooo, quinces..real ones? Japanese quince (chaenomoles)sp? are ok for jelly and fruit cheese, but don't beat Cydonia!!

Amy said...

Those flavours sound really interesting.

Susan Heather said...

I had not heard of carrot chutney - sounds good.

gz said...

I will put chutney recipes on as I make them 🙂

Elderberry-Rob said...

((0))