Saturday 5 November 2022

Cumbria visit

 We stopped over in Cockermouth last Tuesday, on our way home.

Breaking the journey seems far more sensible and satisfying...no longer the heroics of arriving ten hours after you started!!

Neither of us had been to Cumbria for a while...so it was Kendal for lunch...and not one piece of mint cake in sight!!



On the wall in the café.....and outside, the same street..


There are information plaques in many places, giving the history...perhaps we need to spend a whole day here!!




There are lanes and alleys everywhere!








Then a detour to the river Kent



Where they are working on flood defences



And back up to the high street through another alley, or vennel.


Then on to Cockermouth for our overnight stay, via Ambleside..where a hail shower was knocking the beech mast from the trees, making a lot of noise on the car's roof!


You see the green fence just this side of the white building?


Then read the plaque on the pub wall where I took the first shot....



Like so many places...I want to go back and really have some leisurely time there!!




And Pirate met the dog in the bike shop....who definitely approved of him!!


A small friendly hairy hound!!

7 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

A picturesque town.

Marjorie said...

What is mint cake? I enjoy your blog so much.

Debby said...

I enjoy your pictures so much! One of the things that really tickled me was all the little alleys. A man pointed one out to me, while giving me directions. He called it a 'snicket' which made me just about tickled to death, since I knew exactly what he was talking about. I'd read it on someone's blog.

Avus said...

My father and all his family came from Burton, near Kendal. In the old days this was in Westmorland until that county became absorbed into the omnibus "Cumbria".

I visited it and the Lake District, with my own family in adulthood. We enjoyed Kendal and its Vennells.

Thanks for an enjoyable post.

Sandy said...

We're past that get in the car and go to the end as well. Too tiring on older bodies. You can't move after sitting in the car so long. Looks like you had a good explore. Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Fresca said...

Dogs and bikes and Pirate--a magic match.

Funny, I've never heard of mint cake--I love mint, so it sounds good!

gz said...

Mint cake is Kendal Mint Cake!!
Sugar, either white or brown, plus peppermint essence.
The variety enrobed in dark chocolate is very more-ish!!