Saturday 19 November 2022

Sunrise and a successful day

 

A relief after the rain.

It has been a productive day.

A special treat, coffee in a posh café in Ayr and then a little shopping.

Then we made the most of a dry and sometimes sunny afternoon, despite a chill breeze.

Tidying the garden, it almost looks presentable! Bare earth where there was a crop of beetroot has been covered with the earth from the runway excavation, then cardboard boxes..these will prevent soil leaching and degredation and by the spring will be breaking down nicely. 

I have pressed the wild pears, that had turned brown and bletted as they were out on the garden bench in a bag and had been frosted. I had hoped that this would work, as with medlar fruit.

Before this they were hard and sharp and dry..now the juice is delicious!  I don't have a large quantity so this year I will mix it with that of the sweet crabapples.  

Now it is dark so much earlier, it is hard to be enthusiastic about working on as late as one would in the summer!  But perhaps we are meant to relax more at this time of year?






3 comments:

Debby said...

Yes we are....and you both obviously didn't get the memo!

The bike shed said...

I wonder too about the dark nights as if there is some cyclical quality linked to our well-being - but then what of people who live at the equator..??? Either way, I try to embrace them, even though deep down, I long for late evening sundowns.

Elderberry-Rob said...

how lovely your pears sound - I guess they are now a delicious juice.