Monday 16 January 2023

The River Road. Kawana flour mill

 The mill is just up valley from Matahiwi..it was restored a while ago. It's a pity it isn't still an active mill, but the history is fascinating.

I took photos of some of the display, but I need to check if there is a website that you can read all this better than in my photos.






The miller's house, and the mill















On the return we looked at the tunnel culvert..cut by hand, instead of a bridge over the stream going down to the main river





Amazing pick and shovel construction.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Lovely photos!! ah, the DOC signs saying how long walks are, are making me very nostalgic for my 2 trips to NZ (years ago now).
I will return one day! (when the baby, currently 10 months, is a bit older... or much oldeR).

Amy said...

I do love historical places like this especially when they are set up to how they would've looked back in the day.