Tuesday 8 September 2015

infuriating

I'm working on some new cards-and I'm wasting time getting the images right in one system (gimp) and saving them...that does in in something called xcf....
I can't find a way of opening and printing that.....
so I get them to a pdf file..great, better than a jpeg....
unfortunately the system I use (shotwell viewer) which lets me produce cards easily...HAS to have a jpeg file.

Right, convert one....and before I note how I did it, get called away to do something completely different....

Now can I remember or even re-find how I did it? No.

Nearly an hour wasted on top of the time spent editing the original images to the right contrast and clarity....ok, should have taken better images to start with..but at a party, with limited light, you do what you can....

4 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Far too complicated for me. I deal only with the basics, and if they don't obey my commands, I give up!

smartcat said...

Computers are the greatest tool around....until they aren't!
I too, wonder what happens to bloggers that just go into the ether! FB is fine, but a blog, like the journal it imitates, is permanent!

Anonymous said...

Given that you are using gimp and shotwell I wonder if you are a Linux user? If so I've made great use of the imagemagick package for doing things to images. You do know that you can ask gimp to store as .jpg don't you? Just change the file extension. Of course you can't keep all the layers that you have in the .xcf file so I keep that as the master but any time I want a jpg I just save as one and it's fine.

gz said...

Yes I am, Mike. I kept on missing the "export as" bit...
I haven't tried imagemagick yet...and I need to learn what layers mean!