Thursday 23 July 2020

eBay pains

I wonder about carrying on selling by eBay.. ridiculous offers, cheeky comments..
A pair of shoes returned as the purchaser was trying to attach a pair of cleats incorrectly. 
A brake caliper sold. Well photographed to show that it was unused, pristine but incomplete. Now the purchaser expects us to supply one extra part free...

On the other hand another pot is about to start it's journey to the USA despite the hike in postage.

And again...USA has added 25% tax on prints... definitely on commercially produced prints. It looks like hand produced prints will be clear of it, but the jury is still out on photographs.

It makes one wish for cycle jumbles to start again, with all the hassle of doing them. But do we want to get back into crowds?

On the art side of things, why does my work sell abroad and not here?

6 comments:

Fresca said...

EBay is a royal pain in the neck.
But, what's the option?
I hear Etsy is much the same.

I've always loved garage sales--you can see and handle everything--don't like it, don't buy it! Haggle on the spot.
I just realized I haven't seen any this summer--another loss from Covid.

One thing I, an American, love about your art, your prints, I mean, besides how beautifully made they are, is that they take me Someplace Else.
The scenes are exotic to me.
Perhaps in your home country, that is not as saleable?

I brought one of the little salt-glaze pots along with me, while I'm house sitting for 7 weeks--
I LOVE IT!
I'd bought the 4 wee pots because they're doll-sized, and beautiful,
but I use one all the time--put my keys in it, and enjoy seeing its lustre every day.

kjsutcliffe said...

A friend of mine, who makes jewellery, says her best market is the US, the local market either try to cheek the price down or don't buy at all.

Zhoen said...

As for the last question, it's the allure of the exotic. Sorry about all the ebay idiots. And I miss all the jumble/garage sales this summer, but there is no way with crowds.

Steve Reed said...

My brother sells a lot of stuff on eBay, and he's been complaining for years that it's almost more trouble than it's worth! I've done a couple of transactions lately, any my one sale actually LOST me money. LOL

Fresca said...

P.S. I want to add that often I do enjoy the social side of ebay-- chatting with customers. I've had some really nice interactions. They take even more time though, so if a person is looking at pay per hour, it's low... unless you're selling super profitable items.

Joanne Noragon said...

I know the answer: never a prophet in your own land.