Tuesday 20 September 2022

Foraging foray

 We had an evening wander down our favourite hedgerow..the crabapples and wild pears are not quite ready..another week or so? Possibly another fortnight for the apples that we forage for juicing.





And for a change blogger didn't reverse the picture order!!

It was a lovely evening, although the midgies were beginning to bite!


What we did find was a largish boxworth of ripe sloes (now in the freezer) and masses of small dark plums..possibly damsons..at a derelict croft near here.

So far today I have bottled the elderberry (plus a few other  series) cordial made yesterday and now need to deal with the plums... possibly more chutney as that is proving a welcome gift...and I need some for our larder as well!!


The birds are slowly returning here, but the heat and drought has decimated the populations.  We have starlings, magpies and gulls, but very few blackbirds. A robin showed his face yesterday, and we saw a couple of bluetits and great tits in the hedgerows..but far fewer than usual.

3 comments:

kjsutcliffe said...

Blogger sometimes alters the order of my photos - so I right click and cut the image and go to where I want it to be placed in my story. Make sure the cursor has been centred in the page, then right click paste. I think the photos move either due to the 'weight' of the information in the image or to do with the date or time order they are taken. It can be rather annoying!

The Weaver of Grass said...

In our days on the farm we had so many of our own fields for foraging and it was our favourite time of year. Now, of course, I no longer forage as I am immobile but I love reading about it. Here it has been a wonderful year for mushrooms and the present owner of the farm has brought me quite a lot. They make a superb tea in a sauce and then piled on toast.

Susan Heather said...

So much there for you to forage.