Friday 4 October 2019

Harvest, life and weather

We have collected our second batch of windfall apples, only to check my glass bottle store....and I'm running low!
I'm really regretting not bringing my stock of kilner (mason) jars with me to Scotland....but I have found one shop which stocks them at a reasonable price. They are no longer turning up secondhand anywhere, which is a good sign as someone must be using them!!
The small freezer I have is full...time to review the contents once more and make room I think.

Pirate is gradually recovering from a bout of tonsillitis. He is itching to get back to riding his bike properly, but is seeing sense, if reluctantly.  We rode the velodrome boards in Glasgow yesterday, I just do an hour's gentle riding, he does a bit more..but soon realised that he is not on full power.
We had the tail of Hurricane Lorenzo through last night and it is still cold and windy this morning.
Good for drying a whole lot of washing, but not for going out on the bikes. He will have to do his riding on the turbo trainer indoors and we will have time for some fresh air on foot this afternoon.
Staying indoors unless the weather is serious is no good for one's health, a change of air in the lungs is needed.

10 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I agree with you about a change of air. Where we live that might sometimes mean swapping the air inside the house for diesel fumes, but luckily we have a large green space just outside. Hope Pirate is better soon.

Andrea Ingram said...

[o]

Barbara Rogers said...

I used to see my mom seal her canned peaches with wax...or whatever that stuff was that melted and sealed them. I keep running out of lids, but as I'm not really canning, I can find some rims and wax paper perhaps.

Joanne Noragon said...

(0)

Amy said...

The wind is great for drying washing. I'd love to see some of your pottery.

Sandy Miller said...

Yay!!!! Windfall apples and canning jars!!! We had a frost last night after incredibly hot weather! Can't wait to see what you do with your apples!

Gloria said...

Hello There!

It seems that canning has become a bit of a lost art. Not sure if it is coming back or if people are just using them for other things. I enjoy canning pears from our tree but I don't make jams or applesauce much anymore.

Sol said...

I have done very well getting kilner bottles and jars in home bargains here in Scotland. Super cheap.

Elderberry-Rob said...

(o)

yeractual said...

Yup, always an issue this time of year. We've loads of Kilner Jars of all sizes but still manage to get caught out every year, it seems. After a blisteringly hot summer out here (SW France) we're now, at last, finding a few mushrooms from time to time. Nothing like the wonderfu huge bolitas/porcini we used to have every year when living in Sweden. I reckon the art of canning - which was always a US specialty in reality - is fast dying out, though Kilners are every bit as good!