Sunday 13 September 2020

We have been busy...

I may have cracked the Not boiling all the syrup out of the jar problem!

I managed to find Mason jars at 69 pence each..now I am getting back into the swing of it, although I can only do three at a time in our pressure cooker.

Sweet pickled plums...have been meaning to have a go at this ever since I found a jar of Polish pickled plums in a shop a few years ago.
Drying experiments.. Victoria plums are better than Marjorie's Seedling. Melons need to be a bit riper to dry! The tomatoes dried well, we just need more ripe ones at one time to do it!
We cut a red cabbage...getting it before the caterpillars!!
Two sorts of lemon chutney, hot and spicy and fresh herby. 

We have been wanting to get out on the bikes, but the weather has been against us. Even when it has been dry the wind has been so strong that we decided that a walk was the safest option!


You can see how much rain we have had!

Power on the way from Scotland to Ireland
A fruitful walk! Apple juicing soon
And the veges in the polytunnel are profiting from the shelter!

 We have to keep ourselves occupied..the fact that we haven't seen family for over a year weighs heavily.

When grandies are young, they change so quickly...Woodchip will be four in November.  Pirate's eldest has passed his driving test.

8 comments:

Amy said...

yum, so nice growing your own produce.

Joanne Noragon said...

You certainly have been busy. It's hard to believe children and grandchildren are growing so fast. Covid stinks.

Susan Heather said...

You will have a good storecupboard for winter.

Lettice said...

A veritable feast of cupboard goodies. I seem to remember I used to salt runner beans back in the days of my self sufficient life, have you ever tried it? Alright not at all as good as fresh however in the winter a different veg. to tickle your taste buds. Were the jars new, at that price a positive bargain!?!

LX

gz said...

I tried salting beans once Lettuce, and I wasn't impressed!!
Do you have a home bargains shop near you? They have improved, but as with all these you have to watch the quality but still can get cracking bargains

Steve Reed said...

Nice butterfly! I'm so impressed with your culinary skills. Your walk looks nice, even with the puddles.

Catalyst said...

Time seems to go faster as we age.

Sandy Miller said...

Your jars and bubbling pots of harvest look so good! I didn't do any plums this year and now wish I had after seeing your pictures! Will be so good in cold months.