Friday 9 October 2020

Wood!

Today's weather started as it meant to go on...rain and hail!
We headed south over the hills
To meet a two woodmen...one who cuts and seasons it...the other who makes things...we passed over some money...


For some six years old elm. Breathtakingly beautiful. I brought a bowl in exchange for the offcut of elm I was given last visit...


But the wood supplier wants a large plate, so he gave me a plank of oak! Now I must get to the back of the storeshed where the box of plates is...and decide what I would like the wood maker to make!

We headed back north for delicious coffee and cake, good art and a warm welcome at the Gallery at Lauriston




 Then Pirate caught the weather window and rode the nearly ten miles to the next big village..and as the bike went back in the car, the rain came down again!!

Home again and the rain had had enough...as dusk fell...typical!



6 comments:

Susan Heather said...

It sounds like an enjoyable and profitable day out.

Joanne Noragon said...

(O)

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hope you think of someething beautiful to make with that wood. I have always wanted a wooden sign with my housename but the machine mass produced ones don't appeal. a beautiful chopping board also comes to mind :)

gz said...

I think it will be a small table, with the very thin edge taken off. I know the repro table it will replace.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'd be tempted just to keep the wood to stroke whenever things got stressful!

Lettice said...

Barter... the currency of a life well spent. A lovely, lovely blog post.

LX