Wednesday 21 July 2021

Harvesting and weather








 
The garden is coming on well...from a very wet time to now being very hot and dry, thanks to the jet stream zigzagging around and keeping us with a high pressure system, which looks set to stay , with rain coming to Wales and England.

If nothing else things are ripening well, without the worry of rain causing things to regrow, split and rot....but people are wasting water using hoses and sprinklers, especially on lawns.

Water straight from the tap is not good for plants anyway, because of the treatment chemicals.

The onions and shallots are leaning over ready to dry out.  Soon there will be room for the next plants to go in!!

9 comments:

smartcat said...

((o))

Colette said...

Love the photos. Interesting about the water that comes from the tap. It's the rainy season in Central Florida, yet one of my yard crazed neighbors are still allowing their automatic sprinkler system water their yards. I am over here wondering how to remove the grass from my yard. Probably too much work for an older couple, but every bit I reclaim for flower gardens makes me happy. I envy you your green thumb.

Barbara Rogers said...

Beautiful photos all!

deanna said...

Nice! It's true about tap water. We now have two rain barrels, that collect water from the roof in winter and spring. I've almost used up the second, it being a drought-ish year in Western Oregon. But thanks to my son's plantings, we have a lot of drought-resistant flowers.

Steve Reed said...

We never water the grass. It just doesn't need it. If it gets brown, so what? It comes back the minute the rains start again.

Zhoen said...

(o)

Joanne Noragon said...

I use rain water for the plants as much as I can, but as I no longer have a collection barrel, it's up to what falls into the bucket.

Maria said...

Gorgeous veg and flowers. An impressive crop of garlic indeed!!

Is the jar cream from your local dairy? I seem to remember you mentioned something along those lines (a milk dispensing machine?)

gz said...

Maria that is a jar of homemade yoghurt. I keep as much as I can in glass , not plastic. The milk I use is from a local organic dairy