Sunday 22 August 2021

Kincardine

Town Hall.  We visited a friend near Kincardine and went for carry-out Fish chips and mushy peas..I didn't have the fish...but it came breaded and was definitely fish shaped! The rest was top quality too.

We wandered around the old part of the wee town which is at the Fife end of the 1936 bridge

Typical Scots style dormer windows
Pantiles which came from the Nederlands as ship's ballast.

A small public house right at the end of the bridge. There used to be one on the other side too, probably until the ferry stopped and the bridge was built.


Different views of the bridge than we usually get!

You can just see the tower on the bridge..that is one side of the section that used to swivel to allow shipping to pass.

This used to be public toilets...it was on the programme Homes under the Hammer I believe...but it obviously wasn't converted into flats!

As you can see from the name..it used to be an important stopping place for goods inward

 A brief visit...I think I will be back again!  The place looks a little sad with run down and closed shops...but also good community buildings and enough shops thriving. Every small town suffers from trade being sucked into the big box shops.


9 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I think it's a pretty enough small town.

kjsutcliffe said...

Some little towns have lost their vibrancy and 'centredness' due to large shopping complexes or larger towns offering work. I've noticed that if the community has folk with drive - small independent shops manage to thrive and this brings in money/visitors/local tourism, sadly not all these little places have that group of people with the vision or the drive to help. It is a while since I visited Kincardine. In fact is a while since we've been Scotland-wise and I have missed it :)

Amy said...

Fish and chips are always good but I've wondered what the fascinating is with mushy peas?

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think small town suffering is the same everywhere Oz but definitely worth going back sometime for another visit if the fish and chips are good.

Adullamite said...

You can tell it's Fife by the rain.

srgb said...

What a wonderful set of photos GZ I love it, just don't think I would want to live in those houses, I did work inside a few before I left the UK, I helped put a few dormers in peoples roofs and found that very interesting work they were all two storey houses so there was a lot of steps to climb doing the work and we were out on the roof too, I would not want to do it now.
Pan tiles as ballast? I think they were an order that were just used as ballast and not ballast that just became roofing as is implied, when the ship sailed again what was in the bottom of the hull then?
With a bit of marketing streets like those could become tourist attractions, then what?

srgb said...

Mushy peas with some vinegar, 1969 its all we wanted after a beer with chips of course.

gz said...

srgb trade and ballast in one! I will have to research what went as the return shipload

gz said...

srgb if that became a tourist attraction, locals would not be able to afford to live there.....