Wednesday 23 March 2022

Work in progress




 We are bramble and stove bashing for Pirate's niece and great niece....and enjoying the Kent sunshine!!

Also "exploring" some roads....as Pirate left here sixty years ago, his stomping ground then has changed a bit!!  We also agreed that lovely as it is, we wouldn't move here...too expensive, and even more than where we live, locals are priced out. A £350,000 house is called affordable.

If you are on Universal Credit that isn't much more than £10 a day....and the bus to Canterbury is over £6 return...and nothing after 6pm.

Anyhow, we are off again...if nothing else this is getting us fit for our own construction job!!

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

The stove-bashing looks like it might be weirdly satisfying! House prices are insane in southeastern England, although I read that average house prices in all of Great Britain are north of £350K. Can that be true?!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/21/average-house-price-in-great-britain-exceeds-350000-for-first-time

smartcat said...

Great that you are able to help out.
When I visited my nephew and niece in a town in New Hampshire close to fifty years after my first stays I said I felt like I had been dropped into an alien landscape. Finally identified a few historic buildings.
Time fugits!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Alwayss strange going back to old stamping grounds. My first husband and I went back to Lincolnshire before we moved up to the Dales - it taught us in no uncertain terms that one should never go back.

Sandy said...

Busy as always, but it's always nice to have before and after pictures so you can see your labor of love. Best of luck on the project.

Joanne Noragon said...

Fun to go back to where you started.

Avus said...

Lyminge - one of my cycling areas when younger. A little too far for me these days, even on an ebike, though. But you weren't very far away from me in Ashford and Romney Marsh.

It's a pretty area of Kent and the worst of modern traffic has not yet arrived there as most is on the main arteries heading for Dover. I have lived in Kent all my life, but have found getting away to the rest of Southern England is increasingly difficult because of the ever increasing blockage of, what Cobbett called, the "Great Wen" - London.

Debby said...

My daughter worked in Kent for some time. They ruled out living there for the very reasons you stated. They went north, and their house is very nice, with a sweet little garden out back...at about half the price they would have spent in Kent.