Saturday 17 June 2023

Life progressing




 The orchids are flowering in our front meadow... excuse the washed out colours..I couldn't tweak the photos to show them properly.





Yesterday I helped persuade a swallow who nests in next door but one's garage that being in next door's living room was not a good idea!

Today after yesterday afternoon's welcome rain it is a little cooler and overcast, and the fledglings are on the phone lines. The weather should mean that the insects are lower down making it easier foraging for the parent birds.



Pirate's gardening progresses!

His sweet peas will hopefully grow over the fruit cage netting... and his tatties are growing nicely...all except one, but that isn't bad going.

A quiet day so far, which I am glad of.  Pirate is up a few times every night, which doesn't do my sleeping pattern much good either..but he is getting a handle on things with the right meds.  He is having a siesta now...and I am having a quiet sit and read and blog....

When the kids were young and had a nap the temptation was to get busy and wear yourself out doing things you couldn't when they were awake....now, mostly, I am resisting doing that!! 

I think I will go and quietly do a bit more tidying in my study....creating a useable Me space... especially as Pirate is doing more in our garden, that is now a shared space....

He needs another focus from what is ahead. So gardening is good.

11 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Love the orchids! I remember seeing similar ones on the Isle of Wight.

Glad you got rain. We're still dry as a bone here.

Barbara Rogers said...

Somehow I looked at fledglings and missed your neat weather vane. Great! Yes, naps are to make up for missed nightime sleep, and drat it all, I seldom can get one. Glad you have a good looking gardent, for Pirate and you as well! Happy almost solstice!

northsider said...

The orchids are amazing.

Fresca said...

I love the bicycle weathervane.
Which way is the wind blowing in our lives?
Gardening as one heads into possibly heavy weather… that seems an excellent focus

Zhoen said...

(o)

Damselfly said...

The front meadow & orchids are lovely. The weathervane is outstanding!

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful orchids; amazing fledglings.

Debby said...

I think that Pirate is doing a lot of projects that will extend his hand into the future. You will not be able to look around you and not see his handiwork. You also do yourself a good turn by allowing yourself a chance to sit in quiet as he sleep. I think of you both often.

Bea said...

'Me space' is good space. x

molly said...


Love that first photo - your meadow? And those beautiful orchids - especially as I am in the middle of The Hare Running buy John Stemple. Too many wild meadows being taken over by industrial farming...

Catalyst said...

Share those naps. They are good for both of you.