Tuesday 23 January 2024

Jocelyn and kiln progress

 


Here we go again....wash, rinse and repeat....washing machine weather without the drying cycle....

Now there are flood warnings (luckily not us at a little over 400 foot above sea level) as well as strong winds, and very restricted rail services.

It isn't as strong as the last storm, but it is still stay at home weather.

Pirate has retreated to bed again..the weather doesn't help how he is feeling one little bit. I just hope that they can offer treatment to alleviate how he feels...it is frustrating that he insisted on waiting until my 70th birthday, end of last June, and his daughter's 50th last October...and then Christmas....

But it is as it is now. We should know exactly where he is after the two scans, by the end of the first week of February.


I have contacted a company to get a new quote on sorting the flue on my kiln...I was waiting for the Oily One, son#1, but after making me a flue section a year ago he hasn't been able to do any more.

The last time I contacted the company was in 2017, but I can't find the emails anywhere...and life has certainly got in the way of kiln progress!!

I couldn't afford their quote then, but hopefully between fleabay sales and savings I may be able to now...

Today's job is to find the photos I need...nothing is going to get done outside in this weather!!

12 comments:

Tom said...

...rain is a gift, too much isn't.

Barbara Rogers said...

Indoors projects are demanded with weather difficulties. Before we knew how much or how awful the next storm would be, we just went about out business and either went out carefully, or hunkered down. Now I've got arthritis to let me know about damp weather. No fun>

northsider said...

I am starting to wish the frost back. At least it was dry.

Susan said...

The weather influences everything. On stormy days, I think about Spring and better weather to come. Also, knowing all the Spring bulbs are just waiting for warmth, just like us all, is reassuring. For now, staying warm and doing inside projects sounds just fine. Getting your kiln project started sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Wow...your weather sounds like the movie 'Groundhog Day'. Good luck. What make a kiln chimney different from a fireplace or woodstove? (Forgive my ignorance)

gz said...

Anon, temperature. I fire at five times top bread temperature. A good 1280⁰C.....even earthenware I used to make was fired just under 1100⁰C

angela said...

During winter my place looks like a Chinese laundry.
I have washing drying on clothes horses all around the fireplace
I don’t mind. It gives the place a homey feeling I think.
Well that’s how I deal with it lol

Catalyst said...

Yes, stay in and take care of yourself! And the Pirate, as much as you can.

Anonymous said...

Ah...i see...btw this is Debby.

Frex said...

Oh, so excited to hear of a possible kiln! I have been waiting to see you at work in clay!
Sorry Pirate is down. That weather…!

Frex said...

PS. I understand the kiln had been prohibitively expensive, I didn’t mean to imply you were dawdling! Just to express an eager hope from a fan ❤️
—Fresca

Steve Reed said...

It definitely looks gloomier there than it is here. We even have sun today! I hope things soon look up for Pirate and your kiln gets repaired!