Saturday 3 September 2011

say cheese!

Apple, with Blackberry and Elderberry cheese to be precise!

Made after Blackberry and Elderberry cordial and followed by lightly spiced Apple jelly with Lemon Zest.

This took a lot longer than planned.....and was rather wearing on my hands, pushing fruit pulp through a sieve with a wooden spoon....I will be bartering a pot for a wooden pestle !!

It promised rain all day and it arrived half an hour after The Carpenter went for a ride on his bike :-)


just a note-these aren't flavoured milk cheese, but a thicker, better keeping version of fruit butter, made with fruit pulp and sugar and spices if liked.

8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

the flavored cheeses sound wonderful. Anne Webb makes a ceramic pestle, she calls it a suribachis or spice grinder - here is the link

http://www.webbpottery.com/zenphoto/index.php?album=pottery/suribachis

Peter said...

That sounds like late summer/early autumn food, and very yummy and comforting it is too! Blackberries always remind me of staying with my grandparents, and lovely blackberry and apple pies that my grandmother made!

Michèle Hastings said...

you have been very busy... all sounds yummy :o)

julia said...

For a minute I got all excited thinking this was going to be about cheese cheese which I have a yearning to make. Esp mozzarella and goats cheese wrapped in mint leaves. Must be the season?
But please, inspire me with pictures and recipes?

red dirt girl said...

I confess I've never heard of apple, or blackberry or elderberry cheese. So thank you for the note explaining they are more like fruit butter, which my grandmother and her sisters used to make all the time in late summer - apple butter that is. Yummmm! It was an all day affair, as you describe, cooked outside over a low wood fire in a big iron pot, then canned. I miss my grandmother. Thanks for the lovely memory!

xxx

kjsutcliffe said...

Yum :)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I only know the Hungarian one, made with quince, which is wonderful. Two of my sils made a picnic for my husband and I to eat as we left on our honeymoon nearly 40 years ago and this was one of the things they made and packed. I didn't even realize one could make this with other fruit.

gz said...

Damson is quite a popular fruit cheese too.