Saturday 29 December 2018

Getting on with things

Apart from yesterday's windy day we are getting out on the bikes every day. Tomorrow we will aim to be up and out bright and early as it's forecast clear and 29C later on.
Today's ride was revised "on the hoof" as it were..the one road we haven't followed in this district leads to the racetrack. Unfortunately that made it unsafe for us, with horse transport and what looked like "lads days out" in groups of Ute's heading for the races. Perhaps tomorrow?
A quick route change and we still did 34km.. finishing up at the village cafe for coffee and a shared banana and walnut muffin..with butter AND yoghurt!
After lunch and a rest it was bike maintenance for the pirate and more cleaning brick paths for me as the shade came round to an uncleared patch.



9 comments:

0 said...

Have a great New Year xx

Joanne Noragon said...

You've made me remember all the brick work I've known. All the paths at relatives homes; so many patios we used. The generation before me routinely laid brick; I have no idea how to go about it.

gz said...

It's relatively easy Joanne. I'd clear and level the site, put down a weed control matting..but water permeable not solid plastic..then a couple of inches of grit for drainage topped by an inch of sand..lay the bricks or paviours with a gap between them then brush in sand. Easy to weed or to change. No concrete in sight!!
I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong!

Catalyst said...

I've read that the temperature has been reaching 120 degrees F. in Australia. I hope it isn't that hot in New Zealand.

Susan Heather said...

That looks like a job well done (that patch anyway as I presume there is more).

Amy said...

I see you're enjoying the kiwi summer, it's been so hot lately.

Barbara Rogers said...

Super that you had such a nice snack after your ride. Good work on the bricks!

gz said...

Cat, North, northwest and central Australia has certainly been baking.
The North Island has been hotter than here but today we might reach 29 or 30C although it is overcast..back to 18 and rain tomorrow!!

Joanne Noragon said...

That's exactly how my parents did it, Gwynneth, sans the weed matting. In fact, when we bought a home together, my mother leaned on her cane and instructed my fifteen year old nephew in the fine art of laying a brick floor under the deck. He did a fine job.