Saturday 16 October 2021

A steady day

 An early start. I was up at six and up and running by half past when our favourite radio programme starts..Out of Doors on Radio Scotland...it starts with the mystery bird sound, which turned out to be a waxwing this week.  Which reminds me to pick Rowan berries before the waxwings strip the trees!

 After breakfast I started bottling and processing the latest batch of apple juice. Ten bottles this time. The bottle rack is gradually filling up,  but we need to go foraging again for apples to make enough to last the year.

Pirate took himself out for a ride on his bigger circuit, as the clouds lifted, getting himself ready for upcoming events. 

After our neighbour came for his morning cuppa and chat I got busy clearing a space for the tender plants to come in to the kitchen. The only place we have with enough space and light for them to survive. By the time Pirate returned after a good ride and a couple of stops to talk to folk, the plants were in, the kitchen clean, the living room a little tidier!!

The good thing about starting early is that you can have a little down time to relax after lunch and recharge batteries! 

We headed over to a farm run by the son and grandson of a friend of our neighbour.....and came back with four doors!! Grandson is a joiner and had been replacing doors in a house...very good doors! We came home carefully with four...two will be part of the workshop verandah construction, two will replace tired doors in the house. We will return for another to replace the bathroom door that has been falling apart since before we moved here!! As these would probably just be burnt , this is a timely find!!


I am looking at fleabay and thinking perhaps I might try selling elsewhere. It would be far easier if the regular cycle jumbles were still going...but most are not at the moment.

So changing to another online place would be possibly a good idea. Fleabay has slowed down and they seem to be asking for more and more detail and re-requesting detail despite the detailed description and box filling I did to post the items. 

Plus hints to reduce the already reasonable prices!

Now it has gone dark, and cold...I am glad that the plants are indoors.

11 comments:

kjsutcliffe said...

Are there no dedicated bike bits sell and buy websites?
My tender plants have over the last few days moved into various glasshouses at home and at work and some of the more tender ones have now settled down in the house!

The bike shed said...

When you said running at six I thought you meant actually 'running'...
I have picked the quinces from our bush - loads from such a small plant; enough for a year of jelly nd more to spare.

Barbara Rogers said...

By this time next month, all my plants will be inside (and the worn out ones into the trash.) I haven't started thinking about where they all are going yet. Bedroom has the best sunshine, but as soon as middle of trees are bare outside living room, there are two sills in there.

Joanne Noragon said...

Will it be difficult to find a bicycle selling site on the internet? Do other cyclers have suggestions?

gz said...

For selling bike bits it looks like the dreaded fb..there are groups dedicated to this, some for UK only and some for vintage kit.
Fleabay does have the advantage of seller protection and automatic payments on sales...but....

gz said...

Bike shed. Running...moi?!!!! Not done that seriously since I was fifteen and decided to concentrate on cycling. Tried it a little for early morning exercise when I only had two offspring, done early morning up the Nantlle valley and back...but I prefer the bike, or at least walking!!

Steve Reed said...

I have also found eBay harder and harder to deal with. I've sold a few things there over the past ten years or so but I could count them on one hand, and I don't think I made any money!

Debby said...

I really, really have become reticent to use 'flea-bay', because they have a lot of bogus sites on that. I was scammed twice by Chinese companies who totally misrepresented themselves as well as their products. Paypal refused to refund the money, even though I sent them a screenshot of the original advertisement. Too dicey. If they can't police the people they are allowing to use their site, I can't be bothered to use their site. Seems fair enough to me.

Allison said...

I'm impressed that the Pirate is still riding outside in your climate. We're struggling a little here, in Tucson we wouldn't go if it was under 65F. Next year will be easier.
Happy the plants are in the house, they're probably happy as well.

Amy said...

I've been looking at ebay for a while now for vintage clothing but it seems way more expensive. Do they have like a trade me website there like we have here?

gz said...

Allison we draw the line at icy cold conditions nowadays...no point risking a fall, but just chilly is fine so long as you keep moving, walking or cycling.

Amy a new one is vinted...for clothes and household items...I haven't tried it yet, no fees for sellers and apparently the buyers pay the charges.