Sunday 6 August 2023

Family day out to Glasgow


 Over the hill from Crawfordjohn to Glespin




Then along the A70 to join the M74 towards Glasgow until we headed for the railway terminus at East Kilbride




The older towns have their older Gaelic names on the signs, others are only in English


A picnic lunch by the Clyde, then to the canyons of Glasgow (Glaschu) ...and murals...


Oor Billy...






A mosaic of photos..a portrait of Mr Mackintosh.... unfortunately The Lighthouse gallery was closed..








Which primed us nicely for the Banksy exhibition...and all equipment capable of photography was locked in bags for you to carry, or like my tablet, the lenses taped over.....



What I missed on the horse was a new Banksy.....a traffic clamp on its rear leg!!

The shop over the road taking inspiration....

The exhibition kept my grandsons...age 13 and on the Autistic Spectrum... interested and attentive...for an hour and a half...that says a huge amount.
Then back to Glasgow Central, a great building...


And then returning to the car and on to deliver me home and have supper together..a great way to celebrate Daughter's birthday!


14 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh, how wonderful! Crawfordjohn... I so nearly drove that way from Sanquhar but leant left instead. Another time. YAM xx

smartcat said...

((o))

molly said...


Sounds like it was a great day out!

Aimz said...

Lots of lovely murals. Does that sign say crossmyloof? Wonder what that means. My youngest son is flying to Scotland, Glasgow, Dunoon in particular in September for 3 weeks to visit friends and see what he thinks of it for when he moves there next year.

gz said...

Crois moliubha...I have been looking for a translation...cross something....maybe checking old maps will help!

Catalyst said...

A wonderful day!

Catalyst said...

Google translate says it's Olive Cross.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lovely day out, Banksy and all.

Andrea Ingram said...

ooof, envious

srgb said...

I thought this was going to be about the Kiwis winning in the cycle racing, nice pictures.

gz said...

Srgb it's been great watching the Kiwis racing!

Catalyst that is interesting..I googled for a translation, not used Google translate..crann-ola is an olive tree...Ola also =oil . mo could be my....

John Going Gently said...

Love the murals
Adore them

Debby said...

UGH! I thought that I left a comment already. I did not realize that Banksy art could not be photographed. But I really do love those murals. They are really amazing. I cannot imagine just walking along and discovering these things on the way. It sounds like a lovely family time.

gz said...

You did Debby...I approved it this morning as it was in Spam..