Saturday 23 March 2024

Equinox, weather, friends

 

There always seems to be stormy weather around each equinox.

Eleven years ago we were in NZ and people here were saying to us "don't come back now"..with heavy snow and the telegraph poles along the western side of Arran snapped like matchsticks...

No snow here, but we have been having days of "washing machine weather", four seasons in a day, hail yesterday...we might get a break in this for a short walk.

Pirate now has diuretic tablets..that and non penicillin ABs are working slowly..but worryingly his appetite is still low..if it's not one thing....

Getting there slowly. We will see what the stoma nurse says at his review on Monday.....

I have a sale to post! The six books in the series "Earth's Children"by Jean Auel . I must get more things listed, a sale is a good incentive!

Yesterday we had a friend visit from France. When Pirate came out of the RAF sixty years ago, friend was a 13 year old, getting into racing and noone else in the club they were in then was willing to help. Pirate encouraged him, and for the years that he did race he enjoyed it. He kept on cycling, became a mechanic and ten years later was working with British Cycling squads. I met him at Lilleshall on a Women's Squad training weekend...but I hadn't seen him again since then!

So a good day of reminiscing for us all. 


13 comments:

northsider said...

"Washing machine weather". I must remember that. Billy Connolly said in Scotland June is summer and the rest of the time is winter. I think the same could be said for Hibernia.


Tom said...

...and we have snow.

The Weaver of Grass said...

amy appetite had gone but I try to eat somet hing at each meal time. Trouble is nothing tmpts me but Kit kats and hot choc. Glad Pirate is seeing an improvement though.

Fresca said...

Are all the improvements that the trades people put on or in your house helping keep you snug and warm?
I love how a network of bicycling friends continues to show up for you & Pirate, it seems.

Katerinas Blog said...

Bad weather is a difficult thing. I hope that Spring and good weather will come quickly there as well. Have a nice weekend.

Bovey Belle said...

Appetite is a difficult thing. I dare say the hospital food did little to tempt Pirate, just as for Keith. It may take a while to return. K's mother always swore by Manx kippers as they were so tasty. When I had Covid, I didn't eat for 6 days and only tasty food helped me begin eating again.

Glad that a cycling friend turned up to bring some cheer and happy memories.

Catalyst said...

Old friends are the best friends.

angela said...

I love the washing machine weather I’ll definitely have to use that one.
Our weather is also all over the place right now. I wish it will just quickly settle into a pattern and stay there. Changeable weather is terrible for pain.
Maybe that’s another factor in the pirates lack of appetite

Susan said...

Spring weather is a bit of everything. This morning we had a snow/rain/sleet mix. Now it is torrential rain. Medications sometimes dull the appetite. Best to try to eat something each meal. Your cycling friends are very lovely people and a tight community.

Red said...

I didn't know that Auel had written these stories. I'll have to look them up.

Steve Reed said...

I think I read the first three of those Jean Auel books. I liked them, but didn't go farther with the series. Now I have to look up what was happening with the weather in March 2013! (But maybe it wasn't happening in London.)

River said...

Visiting via Joanne's.
I love the Earth's Children series and don't think I could ever sell my set. We are also having washing machine weather here and I shall get my sheets on the line tomorrow.

Jenny Woolf said...

I think that once Pirate gets more active his appetite will go up a bit, but being older I think one's appetite often goes down naturally. I'm glad he seems to be making good progress and I hope the nurse is reassuring.