CARROT & GARLIC CHUTNEY
This is a recipe that someone adapted from a Sophie Grigson recipe. Said to be the nearest to the M&S carrot chutney they could get..and I can concur!
1.8 kg carrots, grated. 110g fresh ginger, finely chopped. 1 litre cider vinegar.
8 dried chillies (I have used fresh too). 2 tbsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds. 4 cinnamon sticks.
2 star anise. 60 g coarse sea salt. 3 heads/bulbs garlic, cloves separated and peeled.
500 ml water. 1.5 kg granulated sugar.
1. In a large bowl mix together Carrot, Ginger, Vinegar, Chillies, Spices and Salt.
2. Cover and set aside for 24 hours.
3. Pour into a preserving pan. Add Garlic and Water.
4. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in Sugar, bring back to the boil, boil hard for 45 minutes, until thick and jammy.
6. Take off heat, ladle at once into HOT jars with lids.
I use waxed paper discs straight on the chutney, making sure they are against the jar neck, then add a good teaspoon of melted candlewax, making sure that covers the join between paper and jar. Then add the screwtop lids.
Like any chutney, best matured for two or three weeks minimum.
Also like any chutney, change the ingredients to suit your taste!