Sunday 2 May 2021

A good Weekend

 Saturday was lovely..so hang the housework, out on the bikes! 

We went on our "newest" bikes..to us..pirate on his Allen and myself on my Hobbs..and both behaved beautifully. 

First stop was for coffee at nine miles to see if our local farm coffeeshop and plant centre was open.  There was a long queue for the milk vending machine and none for the coffee machine, the plants were on sale and the cafe opens after the bank holiday. 

They are busy enough usually, so starting on a bank holiday weekend would not have been a good idea!

Then along a bike path (ex railway) for five miles to a local shop...and sandwiches, before dropping down onto the coastal national cycle route to go north through Ayr, and past Prestwick Airport where we headed inland on the lanes. We were glad to have a tailwind up the hills from there as this was the longest ride we have had for a while...35 miles/ 56km...and taken easy it was enjoyable. Something to build on, as we are looking to ride further afield. 

I think we have another  bike rack that could go on the Hobbs, which would mean that I could carry things including a camera. Until then, no photos on the Hobbs rides!


Today we had our first family meet-up, at Tebay services on the M6.  A good meal out with Pirate's son and family just after two of their birthdays. A chance to catch up and hand over presents.

We took the opportunity to drive home with no motorway apart from the section over the border from Carlisle to Gretna. A nice relaxed drive with the road from Old Tebay to Appleby new to both of us...and we managed a stop to see the view back towards Tebay.

Quite often the stopping places don't coincide with the views, but this one did it well.



5 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I know that view well - looks a bit stormy.

Avus said...

Your comments brought back memories. My first pukka lightweight was a Hobbs of Barbican. I was riding a traditional Raleigh Sports to school and swapped it with my mate for his Hobbs. On it I cut my teeth on club cycling back in the mid 1950s.

My current cycling mate, (82 like me and both ride ebikes now) rode an Allen when we were both fit enough to ride "proper bikes". I was riding a Dawes Super Galaxy back then.

gz said...

Weave it was hailing and raining occasionally! That is looking down towards Old Tebay and behind it the gap that the M and A6 go through.

Avus that is a coincidence ! Both lovely bikes. My Hobbs is a 1948 Superb, Pirate's Allen is an aluminium cyclo-cross frame from the early 80s

Debby said...

I love when the land rises to meet the sky! Glorious day, a day when housework SHOULD be ignored.

Michèle Hastings said...

You sure did have a great weekend! Happy that you met up with family. I can't wait until it's safe to travel and visit mine.