Anyone remember the story about the Curate's egg? He was invited to tea with the Bishop....boiled eggs, bread and butter, tea....and at the end the Bishop asked him how his eggs had been. Well...they had been a little...."off"...but he couldn't say that...so he replied.."Good, in parts"....
As was the firing ...took far too long, one burner didn't work properly, I need to remember how to do all this, how to adjust secondary air and fire efficiently...
plus the roof of the kiln is sagging a little more....
I doesn't help that it has just been sitting for 14 years...and that I've been doing other things..
I probably need advice on this!!
First , though...check the burners tomorrow.





14 comments:
Do you mean that,
like the curate’s egg,
truly there is nothing good from this firing?
Or are some parts actually good?
I hope so,
but either way—congratulations on getting it going after 14 years!
—Fresca
PS. You’ll have seen the sad news that weaver & blogger Joanne N has died—
another careful crafter of beautiful things
—I used to marvel at the work it took to thread (thread?) her loom.
(That ^ was also me, Fresca)
I heard that she wasn't going to fight this one. When Mountain Man's cancer metastased to there he admitted to his doctor that it was time.
A sad loss of a talented feisty woman
good in parts! (he couldn't mention the bad bits to the Bishop!)
Yes, a sad loss.
He daughter added a comment that Joanne died yesterday (Saturday)//I’m glad she let us know in time to say goodbye.
"I assure you . .. parts of it are excellent!"
I'm glad to hear at least parts of the firing were good!
A successful firing, for the first in 14 years especially!
I love the story. To my untrained eye, the pieces looked good but I have zero understanding of all that you must go through to get it right. That's worrisome about the sagging ceiling!
You will have to explain the parts that did not turn out well. I am curious what you see
I do not know the story of the curate's egg and am currently so time poor my desire to go down that rabbit hole needs thwarting!
Dumb me saw the pictures and thought "how did the plastic trays stand the firing" - smarter me realised that they probably weren't IN the kiln...
not reaching temperature...or maybe it did, as those cones are old
lh burner not behaving
slightly uneven firing
rh burner..possibly too rich and I needed to add secondary air...so wasting fuel
it took too long!!
That was a lot of pottery in the kiln! Very glad that at least some is good. Seems to me you have made good progress for not having done this for fourteen years.
Post a Comment