Friday 30 November 2012

vegan chocolate cake

I've been hunting for my chocolate cake recipe....not easy when your files are 13,000 miles away

So I'm trying this.....cobbled together from memory and a couple of other places....

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder...not hot chocolate mix!!!
1 tsp baking soda  ("bicarb")
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract (must be the real stuff!)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar......

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix everything together to make a dark brown batter.....

then place in a greased and lined cake tin- 8" (20cm) square should do it, a little bigger will just give you a shallower cake.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when gently poked in the middle- if it wobbles, don't try it, give it another 10 minutes.   Depending upon your oven it could take an hour--- but it IS worth waiting for---you're supposed to cool it in the tin for two hours, but I can never wait that long.

I wouldn't glaze or ice it, as it bakes with a good finish and is sweet enough anyway.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

My sister was going to try something like this with raspberry infused vinegar. I'll have to remind her.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

My vegan daughter and her family who live in the vegan world of California, will be visiting us carnivores over the holidays. I usually use egg replacement when cooking for them and pack my refrigerator with soy products.

This sounds like a good dessert and may make it if I have time. Thanks for posting it.