Sunday 12 March 2023

Walking by the seaside

This morning we went to Scarborough beach at Sumner, to see a triathlon....well that was the idea...but Pirate's IBS had other ideas...starting brightly in the morning doesn't happen at the moment!!

So seeing our friend start, and at the transitions between swimming, cycling and running didn't happen unfortunately...but at least we saw her finish! (and she passed me before I could get her in a photo!!) It was good to meet up again, if briefly.

We watched quite a few finish..and she pointed out to us that you can just see Kaikoura, way up the coast!


Straight in the middle there...but by the time we were there it was hazy, so we could only just see it.

After the race we had a wander around the park....toilets first...and a brilliant idea, every public toilet had showers outside for sea swimmers .




Then a gentle stroll along the esplanade...I wonder what that means...I know the other word used is promenade...a place you walk....

I liked the municipal planting...very sensibly, native trees and bushes as far as I could see..but even they were naturally showing the effects of windblown salt and sand, plus very dry weather.



This is one of the native pines...it smells heavenly!!
Norfolk Pine...not exactly native, from Norfolk Island...but...




Spiral!!...and I think when this plant flowers, it dies
This one is quite dumpy...but even with the sea winds some were quite tall


The cafes didn't have GF options...and one was an hour's wait for food....so ice cream for me and smoothie for him near the promontory rocks...






You can walk through when the tide is out, I think.



 You can see how far we went..that is the rock in the distance!!

When we arrived, just the far half of the bay had rolling waves for surfing, and the swim part of the triathlon had had calmer sea..as we walked back, by one o'clock, surfing waves and surfers were right along the beach.

It was getting hot...


So retreat back to base to cool down and chill out while the afternoon heat persisted....I am gradually getting used to Christchurch driving and finding my way around...but I think I will stick to the easier quieter routes, thankyou!!


1 comment:

Allison said...

The big agaves do die after flowering. Even if you cut the stalk down, when you first see it, they die. Some sort of enzymatic thing, I've been told.