Sunday 24 September 2023

Equinox , walk and apples

 And now the stormy weather rolls in!

Pirate is determined to exercise every day...even a small amount...

Yesterday we had a forage review walk ...and no bag between us..how remiss!  One of our regular apple trees from previous years had looked to have a thin crop....but it was obviously all "up top"...and the high winds have helped them down. They won't keep, but these will go well in the next batch of juice.

We found a tree new to us as well, going a different side of a hedge to usual...and it looks like an eating apple...must keep an eye on that one. 

Our usual cooking apple tree has hardly any fruit this year.. obviously cold wind at the wrong time.

Today we walked out before lunch, after I had my Winter Jags...flu in the right and covid in the left..as rain was forecast by 2pm.











There are bat boxes, but I couldn't get a decent photo 

Owl box
Apples!!!!


I tried to add a six second video of the wind in an aspen tree, but the system or my tablet wouldn't oblige..things have been a little slow today.

Pirate has been having a siesta, and I have just been "pootering" quietly..and the rain rolled in on time at 2pm.."doing what it said on the tin"!!

He hasn't been feeling too good for a couple of days..but I think the root of that is not getting used to how much more fluid he needs to take in at the moment. Hopefully we have got a handle on that.

Time to wash the apples before we start mincing, using an old hand mincer which is permanently clamped on the end of the kitchen bench....too much faff to take off and on..!! And then pressing the juice from the minced apple pulp.

12 comments:

northsider said...

Great Autumn photos GZ.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Not drinking enough is the bane of most old folks lives - .I hate water and there is a limit to how much fruit juice one drinks.

Steve Reed said...

I hope Pirate feels better with more hydration. Apple juice will help!

Catalyst said...

I like seeing the photos of your environs. Yes, tell Pirate to drink water, lots of water. Advice from someone who never seems to listen to it. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Looks like the birds will eat well come winter.

Red said...

Your lucky you have all kinds of apple trees. I hope Pirate get the medication ide effects worked out.

Allison said...

Could we see a photo of the mincer?

Debby said...

I admire Pirate's drive.

Owl boxes! I have to tell you that I've never heard of them! You can bet the farm we'll be building and installing a couple of those. That's terrific!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Foraging for apple to make apple juice -- great idea and so delicious, I'm sure! I hope to get my flu/covid jabs sometime in October when they're available here.

Susan Heather said...

Looks like a bumper crop of everything from apples to redcurrants to haws and rosehips. Hope Pirate feels better soon with more hydration.

Aimz said...

I'm glad you had your vaccinations, I've found that this winter has been the worst for me in a long time, I might look at getting the flu one next year.

Beth said...

((o))