Sunday 17 September 2023

Roosting

We grabbed a chance for a walk today, as the rain eased for a while, and went round part of Hannahston. Not much chance to see wildlife with several dogs being walked..but the wires were full of starlings preparing to roost, despite it being not long past 3pm.

Then I picked a large bag of the Kidds Orange pippin lookalikes from the tree over the road...grown from a discarded apple core I think.

A late night tonight...from having the Vuelta Espana highlights at 7pm, tonight's were at 11pm!!  Perhaps that will help pirate sleep, and wake a little less frequently... hopefully!!
 

7 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Hopefully.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

We seem to have a lot of starlings around this year too - looking forward to some murmurations at the local reedbed, some years they happen, sometimes not. Not sure I'd sleep well after watching TV at that time of night.

northsider said...

Great starling murmuration photo.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I don't think I have seen a single starling this year - they must all be up your way. Fancy swopping a few for a load of rooks?

Debby said...

Birds going to roost at 3? Was a storm moving in? I wandered off to have a read about the season changes in your part of the world. Your summer days are on average 4 hours longer than our own. Your winter days are a bit longer too. By about 2.5 hours. I guess that I never thought of it before.

gz said...

We have far fewer starlings this year, Weave...I think one or two clutches got baked in the hot weather unfortunately.
We have plenty of jackdaws crows and rooks here.
I haven't seen our local pair of peregrine falcons lately and have hardly heard an owl this year.

Debby yes, we have the tail end of your storms as they work around the top of the Pond!!

gz said...

John neither do we usually..but this was a one off!!