Wednesday 8 November 2023

Headwind

 The Headwind cycling event in the Nederlands was cancelled during storm Ciaran... funnily enough the last time previously was during storm Ciara!

People have been joking about it, but with 30mph winds and 40+mph gusts it was wise. 

Ursula's comment brought that to mind..and a couple of days ago I saw a short video of a street in the Nederlands during a windy day, with people being blown about.

A few years ago a lady whose garden we worked in , crossed the street to their village shop, instead of asking someone younger and fitter to fetch her messages.  She was blown over and broke a couple of bones..not the best thing to do when you are in your late 80s. 

Showing that it is best to be careful when the win gets up!


Today's indoors was in the Glasgow Velodrome..a pleasant hour, for Pirate on the boards and chatting with friends. For me, an hour mostly spent reading.  A good break for us both


7 comments:

angela said...

That is some strong winds. I feel for the poor lady. Not nice at all.
Yes perfect day for indoor activities.
I like to listen to audiobooks while I craft away.

Catalyst said...

((o))

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Indoors is definitely the best place to be on a windy day, even for riding a bike. When I was young and more foolish than I hope I am now, I biked to work in the dark in the wake of the Michael Fish hurricane. At one point I was zapping along with a fantastic tailwind. For some reason it crossed my mind that if a tree had blown down across the road I'd never stop in time. I'd just reached a sensible speed when a tree appeared right in front of me.

Pam said...

Argh, that sounds scary!

Re your daughter and the computer, have you tried screen sharing? I get my daughter to do this from her house when she's proof-reading stuff for me. You go to the little blue window at the bottom (of my screen, anyway) and type q, which stands for... can't quite remember. Then she sends me a code which I fill in and then I give her permission to share my screen and then it's just as if she's sitting there with me. She can see what I see, and do things on the screen. I'm sure your daughter will be able to sort this out for you, if she's good with computers (as I am not).

gz said...

Pam, Daughter has given me instructions to follow with a screenshot of the right screen.

Brother is my webmaster...he sorts my laptop remotely ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ™‚

Debby said...

Breaks are nice as long as they do not involve bones!

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad Pirate is getting some riding in!