Monday 27 August 2018

car t.l.c. and ideals

We took the car over to the garage that used to care for my old 405 estate...
They don't mind working on old cars, they listen...and they talk to me as well, not just the Pirate!! After all,it is my car.....

It's getting a secondhand rear axle ("beam") as it has rather sick bearings on one side. Apparently its a known fault of psa vehicles like mine..I'd hoped that The Oily One would have been able to do it, as he knows how to recondition and replace the offending bits, but time hasn't allowed that. The bearing worsened so also I wasn't going to drive it 400 miles to get it done, even though we will be heading south soon anyway.

As we delivered the car two days early...they're going to start work on it tomorrow!!

Back to bus travel, no complaints. I much prefer to use public transport whenever possible, if not bike or foot.  Luckily we can go by bus for free in Scotland, both of us being 60+ years old...however going to see family is a problem as the car works out cheapest financially.
Ideally one lives near enough to family...but which bit?!! and why would we ever leave Scotland????

8 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I think the bus pass is welcomed by most *cough* old age pensioners :)
My mum users hers several times a week, and since she doesn't drive, it's a life-saver.
Hope the car repairs are not too expensive.
We stopped in Ayrshire for a lovely meal, on our way to Crauford Castle https://craufurdland.co.uk/craufurd-history/
You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the world.
~Jo

Joanne Noragon said...

Transportation issues myself--medical appointments and I cannot drive!

Susan Heather said...

I hope you can get the car fixed without too much expense.

Avus said...

So how old is the 405? My Toyota Yaris Verso is 2005 - the last year they made the model. But now so much in demand because they are so damned useful that they price higher than average.

My current motorcycle is 26 years old - a classic Honda.

Both Japanese and bullet proof!

gz said...

Avus the 405 is M reg...1994/5 and had done over 360,000 miles when I gave it to youngest son three years ago..he has now sold it to a friend and its awaiting more mending.
Our present Berlinglo Multispace is 18 years old and has over 200,000 miles on the clock!!

smartcat said...

Toes crossed that the repairs go smoothly and quickly, and don’t devastate the budget!
Public transportation is near non-existent in my part of RI (USA). It’s almost impossible t live in even a semi-rural area with out an auto. What we do is try to combine all our errands into two days to two different places. It works, but it sure would be nice to take a bus when not hauling major stuff around.
Having a good car repair place is essential. My guys sort of put together a Subaru for me after my 4RUNNER quilter literally fell apart.

Michèle Hastings said...

Car repairs, ugh. It's always something. Like Smartcat said, here in rural USA there is no public transportation. Thankfully we now have a grocery store in our small town. It's just a couple blocks away. It's a little spendy but saves gas and time when I just need a few things.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I've never learnt to drive so if I can't cycle to it, I go by train. Luckily I can buy 7 days "free" rail travel a year for a couple of Euros and do have a discount but think that, if they want pensioners to keep active, it should be more affordable.