Thursday 16 August 2018

Caterpillar I D

I asked on the downsizer forum..here's the reply...

"
Did you sniff it? It ought to have smelt strongly of goat, since it is the larva of a Goat Moth (Cossus cossus). It had probably been feeding on the Goat (!) Willow, leaving large holes, with exit holes near the base. When ready to pupate (after several years as a larva) they leave the tree for somewhere to pupate, but I've yet to find a suggestion of what sort of place that might be!


Nice find."

5 comments:

smartcat said...

((o))

Susan Heather said...

:)

Catalyst said...

((o))

Frex said...

Wow---neat! I love that people help out with answers online!
DID you smell it?
If so, did it smell of goat?

gz said...

unfortunately...or fortunately?! no, Frex. I was mid-job, so a quick dash to the car,park it on a cushion and quickly get the camera out..luckily one frame was in focus as it moves fast! Then replace it where found.