Defrosting day for the tall freezer...which fortunately didn't take long.. What did take time was sorting the contents!!
Repacking some in boxes that would fit better, and finding just how much fruit is in there!!
Not only have I not baked properly for two years I've hardly preserved anything properly, just froze it.
We always had a fruit crumble in the fridge for dessert too.
All the currant crop from the past week has been processed and is in the freezer before it was lost.
3 pounds (it is an old recipe book!) of gooseberries and half a pound of onions are now a very hot and spicy chutney!
ha!..in reverse order just to surprise me!!
There is over 3kg of blackcurrants to deal with tomorrow!






12 comments:
Oh yum - what a good way to preserve it all - and Christmas is sorted!!
Much easier to just pop things in the freezer. At least it is saved there.
yum gotta love a good homemade chutney, B made a tomato and chilli relish last Summer and we are using it over Winter, have a great weekend.
Your fruit harvest is always impressive.
Homemade preserves are the best and you will have a great supply to carry you for a while.
Your fruit crumble must be delicious too.
I don't know that I have ever had chutney. I do have a grandcat called Mango Chutney. My Dil has been freezer a lot of her berries for use in smoothies over the winter.
I think the name is from Hindi .chatni or chatney? Good with all sorts of food...a nice cheese, apple or pear, a curry, cold meats ( not that I've tried the latter!)
I can't make chutney nowadays, as the vinegar fumes make my asthma bad. I do resent paying silly money for boughten chutney . . .
That chutney has a beautiful colour. I’m sure it tastes as good as it looks
Ive just scored two gooseberry bushes that i managed to split into 4 good bushes, one Im not sure about and two rooted pieces (7 if they all survive) - and I love love love hot goodeberry sauce.
they grow well from cuttings anyway
I envy your plenitude of berries! How do you use the chutney? It is not common over here.
But currants, oh how i love them.
chutney with cheese, with apples or pears, just on bread, with a curry or a dhal....
Post a Comment