Sunday 21 May 2023

Back to getting on with it


 Yesterday we went by car to Irvine Harbour where we can park for free just off the National Cycle Route up the Ayrshire Coast...just a steady potter on the bikes up the cycling/walking path for five miles and back. 

We had been busy doing Stuff around the house all day so a break and a dose of fresh air was needed.

At the top of the road down past the harbour, by the train station is a café....Vanilla Joe's...with the best gelato we have found so far!  Two  hot chocolates and two waffle cones did come to £14...but both were far more generous than most places!! 

It could be because the ices are made on the premises...and they have two cafés there....and they open quite late,... whatever it is they deserve to succeed!!

Where we parked we saw a fitness studio's Ute....


You don't usually see a missing apostrophe, generally it is the Greengrocer's apostrophe added!!

I made another small lino block..a turtle to start with. It will be a set of four, like the four birds and four trees that I have already done, maybe eel, dolphin and salmon to join it?


I think that one is ready for printing...

I have started a batch of bread dough so that is looking after itself. Pirate is having his afternoon siesta and we will have a walk afterwards..it wasn't the best of cycling weather this morning, all cold and almost foggy hence the indoor day so far. 

He is gradually tidying things around the garden as we hope to have friends calling soon.

We won't go far on our walk, but we can call by our village shop for some eggs...bread means a baking session while the oven is on.  We are being even more careful with our power use with the rising prices, but so far we are trimming and adapting without causing hardship. The next step there will be to get our landlord to upgrade the roof insulation, which is still at 1970s level...200 mm less than it should be!!

It is keeping everything ticking along.  No sadness, just getting on with life as best we can.

Sharing work too...he has some bike chainrings to start cleaning for me so that I can sell them on fleabay.  As he always says..Sharing is Caring...Caring is Sharing.


9 comments:

Steve Reed said...

It's good you can keep spending time together on day-to-day life and projects. That will help Pirate's healing, no doubt!

I think "cant" without an apostrophe means a tilt. My mind's not tilted!

Fresca said...

I love the little turtle! You inspire me—I want to try making a little print.
Also to have gelato and hot chocolate! (But I’d have to bike like pirate to justify it.)

I get they dropped the apostrophe, but “cant” could mean “treacly/treacherous hypocrisy” too—also a good thing to clear one’s mind of. 😊

Catalyst said...

That's a pretty spectacular day! And a nice treat that brought a big smile to Pirate's face. It made my mouth water. And I love your little turtle! Keep on keepin' on!

Jean Winnipeg said...

I liked your Lino block turtle, do you print and frame your art? I know very little about Lino blocks.

I also liked the sound of the bread dough, there is nothing like the smell of bread baking. I realise I have been baking so much more since Covid, things I have never tried before like scones and pineapple upside down cake. A large bag of flour is a comforting sight.

Good wishes for your Pirate’s health.

Joanne Noragon said...

Gelato and hot chocolate--a worthy treat after a ride. Or before it. I took "cant" to mean treacherous speech. And from habit, I typed it with an apostrophe, and had to go back to correct.

Red said...

You certainly keep busy and active. That's what keeps us in the game.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thanks for popping by my blog today, I appreciate your visit and comment. "Fleabay" hahahahahaha -- I've never heard Ebay called that before!

Debby said...

I've been googling your Irvine. We live next to an old town of Irvine as well (Not so old as yours of course, General Irvine being a solder who served George Washington in the Revolutionary War. He built an extate with a great deal of stone work done by a Scottish Stone mason Robert Shortt. I was hoping to find his birthplace, but could not.

Busy hands are a good distraction.

Amy said...

oh I haven't seen waffle cones in literally years, there use to be a little mobile shop in downtown square in Auckland City in the 1980s that made them, so yummy