Sunday 14 May 2023

Mothers' Day

 Seeing all the stories and photos of mothers.

I never got on well with mine....I made two mistakes apparently, on arrival...I wasn't a boy...and the midwife commented "oh, doubtful as to mother, certain as to father" ...oops!!

But I got on well with her mother...not an uncommon thing!

Here she is at about 23..having made herself a hat for a garden party in Adelaide.


Taken to Australia as her first cousin's wife...as he got a free passage for her, being in the Australian Army..I need to find out how he ended up in that!!

She really enjoyed living there...never wanted to return...but Grandpa did because in about 1926 or 27 her mother was running a soup kitchen in London. Grandpa did not think that respectable, so returned to stop his aunt from disgracing his family....

She always hankered for Down Under....

I wish I could have known my father's mother..but she died when Dad was 5...

Here she is with my dad when he was about 3..and she was 23...two years later she died, partly because she had TB.  Ironically so did her father in law, just over twenty years later, living at the same address.


Apparently I am very like her in many ways....

and this is me at 23...before becoming a mother to 4...



15 comments:

Fresca said...

My goodness, you and your dad’s mother look like twins—and you haven’t changed much at all!
I love seeing peoples family history—thanks for sharing.
PS.
What does the lettering on your shirt mean?

Joanne Noragon said...

Happy mother's day to you.

Susan Heather said...

:)

Red said...

Lot of hardship in your family's past.

Terra said...

Nice bit of family history and photos. Happy Mothers Day to you.

gz said...

Fresca UWIST is the University of Wales Institute of Science and Technology.
A borrowed sweatshirt..but ironic that many years later Cardiff College of Art came under the umbrella of UWIST!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Yes, there is no doubt you inherited more of Father's line! For me, it was Mum's. I am the spit of her mother's height, face...weight. Just can't get away from it. I identify with your maternal gran's longing for OZ. Unlike her, though, I am hopeful of repatriating before too much longer. YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful to see your family's mothers. I always heard that about how the relationship of grandmother/granddaughter was often better than that of mothers. And I think my life might have been quite different as a girl if I hadn't been moved away from both of them by my own mother (and family.) So I endured that strained relationship with my own mother. I did connect with my still remaining grandmother a bit as an adult.

Steve Reed said...

I definitely see the family resemblance! And you know how I feel about old photos. :)

gz said...

Wishing you success Yamini ❤️

Amy said...

wow society has changed, soup kitchens hopefully are no longer thought of as beneath us, she sounds like quite a lady.

Debby said...

You do resemble her! My mother did not care for me at all. It seemed as if she went out of her way to quarrel. I asked her why once, and she seemed surprised at the question. So I asked again, "What did I do to make you so angry at me?" She finally came up with her answer: "You left!"

I am the mother of 3 now, and two of them are far away. Never have I harbored the slightest bitterness that they have gone on to live their own lives. I raised them to soar, and they did.

Life became much easier when I simply accepted that my mother did not like me much. She was still angry with me even on her death bed, but I know that I did my duty by her.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Sandy said...

I've seen lots of Mother's Day picture on social media as well. Sorry you and your Mom didn't get on all that well. I did ok with mine; but she and I weren't nearly as close as my daughter and I are. Families are all so different and sometimes you just can't explain why. It's nice you have the pictures. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day.

Jenny Woolf said...

I love the gorgeous pic of her in the hat !