Friday 2 February 2024

Afternoon out for myself

 This morning we had the preliminary survey...with luck we qualify for a new boiler (the old one is on its last legs) and roof insulation..first hurdle cleared....

I was supposed to be having a full day out on my own....and I caught the bus tomorrow at 11.40!!

Whilst waiting....



Rookery nookery....


Who are you looking at????...

We're going....


The bus I was thinking of catching going north from Ayr was just pulling out of the bus station....and the next one ready was going south...so I caught the bus to Girvan.

Our usual small cafe was still going..so straight there for lunch..but it was heartbreaking to see the state of the town...huge lorries still going right through the middle up the narrow high street, most shops boarded up or at least looking derelict.

Even the charity shops were closed....The Original Factory Shop gone..and replaced by something even cheaper and lower quality..but better than nothing if you don't have a lot of spare cash.

So after lunch a quick wander up the high street and back..





A beautiful find to raise the spirits.

And at least the harbour was looking busy.

Excuse the computer...not behaving quite as it should...


The sight of Ailsa Craig, ten miles away in the Clyde...

I found a little history to investigate on another visit...








Before catching the bus back to Ayr. 

It started fine drizzle as we arrived...and time was short after the late start, so back home on the bus.

Not much activity...no drawing done..but time out for myself.

It was a job to think what to do or where to go!!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to take a field trip myself soon.
What interesting history!
—Fresca

Catalyst said...

Yes, good to get away by oneself for a day. Glad you had a chance to do it.

Marjorie said...

Good news on the boiler and roof insulation. Sorry your day out did not go as planned. Keeping everything crossed that Pirate sails through the pre op on Monday. Hugs.

Tom said...

...I love the harbor scene.

Joanne Noragon said...

The tiles with the gnome is a sweet picture.

Elderberry-Rob said...

a change of scenery is good, sadly I am noticing many shops closing down in my own area and I don't think high streets will return to their pre-covid glory ever, everyone shops online and the lack of footfall impacts on all the small businesses. At least the cafe where you had lunch will have appreciated your visit :)

Red said...

You did the right thing. Get out and see something new.

northsider said...

Sounds a pleasant bus trip GZ.

Tasker Dunham said...

It really is important as a carer to have your own activities and support network. I get a bit fed up that my wife and I can no longer do all the things together we used to, but I have said she has to continue them because as things look, sooner or hopefully later, she will be on her own.

Debby said...

WHat a wonderful day out! They are few and far for you, and I've no doubt this one has done your spirits good. As for drawing? You have some pictures here. Sit down and grab a pencil!