Friday 16 February 2024

Friends

 We managed to get out for a day... eventually...mornings are not easy for Pirate.

Lunch was a gift from a friend in Dumfries..a local church there has built a new community centre about four years ago...gym, meeting rooms, hireable conference/office rooms, a really good cafe Monday to Friday...and a church.

They have employed a full time chef and the food is good....and there is plenty of parking, unlike our favourite bike cafe by the river in Dumfries.

Then our original reason for going to Dumfries....the Abbey Sewing Machine shop....he was initially trained by Singer in Clydebank, Glasgow...and has a lifetime of working on sewing machines..he services machines from far and wide as there are so few doing this now. He also sells secondhand machines.

I took two electric machines that I had....and found out their worth...and discussed what I needed....I initially he didn't think he had what I needed....

But then remembered the last one of a batch of Bernina machines he had.... older style ones, not the modern all plastic jobs....

My mother had a Bernina in the 1960s...and I was supposed to get that when she wanted to change it but she part exchanged it for a Janome instead of letting me buy it....This one doesn't have all the embroidery stitches..which I never used on the old one..but it runs well and sounds just like the old one!

Sweet!!

He gave me a part exchange rate that I would have got by selling them on any online marketplace...which was a good deal. 

He did have a Husquvarna Viking machine.....but that was another £150 above the price of the Bernina...worth it, but I don't have that spare!!



To celebrate we went to see Phil McMenemy at the Gallery at Lauriston...celebration should be done with friends! 


Cake sharing....Ginger and Lemon Drizzle...with a proper hot chocolate that doesn't need the mug to hold it up!!!!


And now he has requested new curtains.....I do have some light tweed material....now to investigate the fabric stash ... Do I have lining material?

Now for some sewing mathematics......

15 comments:

Fresca said...

That cake looks great. Congrats on the new sewing machine – – that’s a treat. I love that Pirate is always smiling in photos. 😊

angela said...

I love the old machines. But oh my they were so heaven to move. These days they’re so light!
On my wish list is an embroidery machine. Unfortunately they’re so expensive. In the thousands.
I just can’t justify that amount of money. It is nice to dream.

Joanne Noragon said...

It is wonderful to have a good sewing machine man at hand. We treasure ours. That's a good machine you have bought.

Tom said...

...I find Husqvarna to be an interesting brand. Here if you ask a man, he will say that they are a chainsaw company and if you ask a women, she would say a sewing machine company!

Susan Heather said...

Sounds like a good day. a day out, new sewing machine and good food.

Red said...

I remember my Mom getting an Elna sewing machine in the early 50's. Before that she had a singer treadle machine.

JayCee said...

Oh that cake! And that proper chocolate!!

Katerinas Blog said...

Your post is interesting, I too have an old Singer heirloom from grandma. Thank you! Have a nice weekend!!

jabblog said...

It sounds a thoroughly satisfactory day all round - the cake looks good.

Barbara Rogers said...

Must add my congrats on a new tool for your use. I know many things will be much easier to not only create, but mend as well! Excellent celebration of acquisition!

Allison said...

I have an old Bernina, it was my mother's. It's the last of the metal bodies. It's a great sewing machine, with a walking foot it quilts well. I don't so much anymore, sort of burned out on it. These days I do a lot of patching on my husband's jeans. The cake looks wonderful, so happy you had a lovely day out.

Andrea Ingram said...

xxxx

Susan said...

You've had a great day. After all those accomplishments, a visit to the cafe for cake and warm drinks sounds perfect. Making some custom curtains using your new machine will be lovely.

Catalyst said...

It's good that you're keeping busy.

Steve Reed said...

Bravo on the sewing machine exchange! It's always good to get something "new," especially in exchange for multiples of "old."