Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Making food

 Days at the gallery leave me feeling washed out the following day.possibly because it is a day without much moving around, let alone exercise. Because of that, I don't sleep well..which compounds the problem.


So today was, shall we say...low key. I wasn't a day for much walking either, with sudden showers!

I did a little tidying in the greenhouse. Taking out the tomato plants that are going nowhere, taking off leaves that are past their best.  Hoping that the blight stays out of the greenhouse!



The squash are making the greenhouse all jungly!! the squashes are only large marble size...but it shows what is possible, if I get them going early enough.

The plums that I'd foraged were crying out for attention....Three and a half pounds are now being pickled..a sweet pickle..this takes over a week after the first cooking in the oven, each day boiling up the vinegar syrup then pouring it back over the plums.



I had bought some limes, reduced  to pence..they are now being pickled on the windowsill in a large glass jar.


As the oven was warm...a batch of granola went in. 

None of these were a lot of work...and plenty of breaks were had!

The last job, start a batch of yoghurt..that looks after itself overnight.

Then to Duolingo. The course finished at level 129, I've gone back to the beginning...

We'll see if I remember enough!!



11 comments:

angela said...

I feel the exact same way today. Although I did move lots
We rest and we then get going again. It’s what we do
I do like the sound of those plumb pickles.

Susan Heather said...

It might have been a "low key" day but you still achieved a lot.

Tigger's Mum said...

So much presetving. I do like spiced pickled plums. Must plant a suitable plum tree (none to forage out here)

kjsutcliffe said...

I know what you mean about a day of 'doing nothing' making you tired yet not able to sleep.
I've not heard of your sweet pickled plum recipe before - interesting you have to re heat the vinegar - do you drain it, heat it and pour it on to the cold plums or do they have to be reheated too?

gz said...

After the first halfhour in the oven tbe plums don't get cooked directly again...just drain, boil the liquid and pour back. over

gz said...

I love the small red or yellow plums that you get ripe..in january/February? They must be Mirabelles..planted by birds!!

Debby said...

What do you do with your pickled limes and plums? Do you just eat them like a regular pickle?

Amy said...

My mother use to make her own muesli and yoghurt when I was growing up, it certainly is better for you.

gz said...

the limes are a side addition to curries or other spicy stuff.
The plums are good on the side of any meal, or a dessert...or I can eat them as they come!!!!

Bovey Belle said...

Well done with all the preserving. I am peeved I can no longer make chutney as the vinegar fumes do NOT help my asthma. I have seen a plum tree dropping fruit onto the pavement by the Fire Station. May pop by and see if enough there to make jam with.

Granny Sue said...

Pickled limes? Do tell! How to make and what to use them for! Please?
My granddaughter's mother is in Ayr at this very moment, visiting a friend. Small world, isn't it?