Monday 9 September 2024

And so comes Autumn

 This morning I took four bin bags of our clothes to the Shelter Op Shop..plus a ghastly (for me) table lamp with a pink lampshade..very nice, but.....

It  took me ten minutes of driving round and round to find a parking space near enough to the shop...well, any space really, but it needed to be near!

It was also right opposite the post office..very handy as I posted off a few things that have been promised to others. A good chance to get things off in time..second class letter post is 85p....first class now is £1.35....and on 7 October goes up to £1.65!!!!

Fortunately now they don't have the value on the stamps, just what class they are...so you can stock up before the price rise. 

I did before the last price hike so I still have enough.

Then over to Doonfoot...at the foot of the river Doon....the idea was to walk over to Greenan where I usually pick brambles....but the weather looked a little dubious...




The swans were making their way upriver...followed later by the ducks...

I found a huge bramble bush 100 m from the river..and filled my box there.

Off to see friends...and after a couple of miles the rain rolled in.

I went over to the Girvan valley to the pub where we married. Our friends still run it...they have been trying to sell.for years, but at the moment it is just the house equivalent of "tyre kickers" for car sales....

I found a couple of photos, one nearly thirty years old for them.

My thanks was a plateful of funeral tea leftovers! (I had wondered where all the cars leaving the village as I arrived were from...)

And very welcome too.

I went the long way home to see how the roads were...and it was a nice surprise to see a new surface...very much needed!

The change in weather is quite tiring...it was so good to have the past few days of Summer.. although Autumn is officially here... everyone relaxed...but now we are back to colder and wet...and it is due to get colder still.

So even though I got back at 5pm....nothing got done apart from supper from the freezer!!

13 comments:

Fresca said...

Postage here in the US is 73 cents for a first class letter-/not toooo bad, but now I’ve been printing and mailing more cards, it does add up, and reminds me:
How wonderful we can chat online with people many places in the world without additional costs.

Red said...

Well, a lot of things got done. Dropping off clothing and finding a parking place makes slow work to get things done.

angela said...

I think you got lots done. I’d definitely need a rest after a day like that

Susan Heather said...

Yet another busy day.

Tom said...

...postage keeps going up here too!

Debby said...

It seems as if you did quite enough during the day to warrant a do-nothing evening!

Catalyst said...

Sounds to me like a very busy day for "nothing got done"!

Bovey Belle said...

Ah yes, I recognise your friend's pub/home selling problems from our days of "tyre kickers" - wonderful analogy. Talk about ALWAYS the wrong people coming - always from far off in England (think home counties) and quite often wearing white from head to foot! One woman had a proper hissy fit at the thought of having to walk on GRASS to look at the side and back of the property! One couple turned up in a lime green Porche. I could tell they wouldn't have it as he wouldn't want it covered in cow sh*t would he?

I must try and go blackberry picking if it dries up today.

gz said...

It is good to be able to chat online..but letters and cards are important, sometimes important history..and we need posties..the deterioration in service has followed privatisation...but the local delivery force is still a vital part of the community

Steve Reed said...

Well, it's good to get those tasks done. I know what you mean about the weather change. We're cold and wet here too. (Probably not as cold as you!)

Granny Sue said...

A busy day, full of good things. The berries sound so inviting!

Susan said...

A full day kept you busy. Our postal service is pretty good, expensive but still good for letters and cards.

Jenny Woolf said...

Interesting that you still have brambles in fruit. Here, they finished a couple of weeks ago, to my sadness. I have got a couple of boxes in the freezer though. They're so much better than the ones you buy in the shop.