Saturday 27 July 2024

Potfest in the Park

 Up early-ish today and off to Hutton in the Forest, just Northwest of Penrith.

It was 105 miles... Auntie Goggle said 2 hours 12 minutes.....which would have been very close, without a cloudburst just before Dumfries, and another longer section of torrential rain while on the motorway . The sort that has you down to 40 mph , wipers on fast, fog lights on fire and aft and beginning to wonder if you are going a smidgin too fast....and still there were grey cars without lights on passing at speed.....I was glad that I'd had a break after an hour and 38 miles at Thornhill , the usual stop.

It is Potfest in the Park weekend...105 potters /ceramists/artists in clay....there were only 90 when we went a few years ago, but it has obviously slowly and steadily increased!

I met up with a few friends, chatted to others and treated myself to chips and mushy peas for lunch !!























Musical entertainment...a string quartet 
The house...I didn't have a wander around the gardens this time as it started raining again!!
I even had a nap in the car after lunch...and went back for a second look...there was every sort of work, every type of clay, every size you could imagine!  Inspiring yet mind blowing.

I did the return trip in one hit.. although ready to stop for a break at any time...in nice dry and sunny weather. I did the first 20 miles on ordinary roads to get back into driving mode... luckily there is a 15 mile stretch of the A 6 that is almost parallel to the motorway and it is a nice clear rolling road.....then a quick 10  motorway miles over the border to Scotland and on the B roads through villages to Dumfries, avoiding the traffic on the A75 heading for the ferry to Ireland. Up the A76 to New Cumnock, then on the back roads for a quieter shorter last 15 miles to home....
Now to put my feet up... until tomorrow!!


18 comments:

Katerinas Blog said...

Some of the creations are truly works of art!
I think the road you took was worth it!

Tom said...

...lots of eye candy there!

JayCee said...

When I saw the blog post title I thought it was going to be about something very different!
It sounds like it was a great day with plenty to see and enjoy.

Barbara Rogers said...

I can't believe I recognized some of the potters in the show. Lovely pots all, and too bad they got rained on. As well as your ride to the show! Glad coming home was easier! So glad you got to go and met some friends too!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
A big round trip - but it looks to have been worth it and taking the 'back roads' makes the journey worth it too, (IMO>>>🤗) YAM xx

Susan said...

It was a long drive but the display of pottery was beautiful. The skill and talent of the potters is impressive. Despite the rain, it was well attended.

Anonymous said...

First time commenting. My sincere condolences on the passing of your Pirate. I live in the USA. When you start your Etsy store/ EBay will you be shipping to the USA? I collect Raku pottery. Jackie

Fresca said...

Wow! Fantastic art!!! I love the variations. Personally I would have wanted to buy the first horse on wheels-/the one with one candle. I love horses and toys and art and it is all that!
Maybe next year you will show too?
Or is that too soon to get work together?

Joanne Noragon said...

A good looking show. Makes me miss my old calling. Your raindrops on pottery reminded me of one show when we had a downpour and most artists were under cover and zipping up. When is was over, the potters just dumped the water from their pots.

angela said...

Some very talented potters in the area.
I’m glad you had a nap. I’d of needed one too.

Red said...

That was a good day to keep you busy. You saw lots of fine pottery and got out for a good drive.

Susan Heather said...

Some beautiful pieces. A long round trip but worth it.

gz said...

I still have the Etsy shop, but I am not sure about exporting..the paperwork is daunting! I haven't made any Raku pots for a very long time.

gz said...

Too soon I think, Fresca..and to do a show costs at least £500

northsider said...

Sounds like it was just up your street.

Steve Reed said...

Beautiful work! I especially like Jeremy James' weasel. (Ferret? Mink?)

gz said...

Otter!

Marjorie said...

Amazing work. I loved the otter too. Maybe next year for you there?