Saturday 10 August 2024

A day of this and that.

 A visit to Nae Sae New this morning to pick up and pay for a cassette player. Our old CD, cassette and radio came to its end. 

And what tape had Pirate left in the old one for me to find? Whitney Houston.."Your love is my love"....

The new one is just a cassette player, secondhand but in good condition...and works well. So the stack of cassettes won't go to waste!

Into Ayr for a little shopping..just perishables mainly as my larder is quite healthy. Then into the town itself, to try and find a rotary cutter...as the small one I have isn't going to cut nearly 400 pieces....

This was a mistake, as there was a gathering near the Low Green...and people in semi military uniform....and when I came out from the bookshop on the high street I realised...coming down the high street behind a police car with it's headlights on, was a marching band. 

I could quickly go ahead of them and back through an arcade to get back to my car...and echoing around the squares were the fifes and drums and the big Lambeg drum of the marching bands...a huge procession still coming out from the Low Green ...it was an Orangemens' procession...

Quite a chilling sound.  It explained why most of the shops on the High Street had few people in them and some were closed that I hadn't expected.

I was glad to be away from that...so home it was....lunch and then afternoon gardening.

Clearing what weeds there were from the parts of the garden with no crops..they had all been covered..


The bare patches have been loosened and raked. Phacelia sown for a green manure crop to be dug in in spring and raked in so that hopefully the sparrows don't make a meal of the seed!
The peas are rather windswept (but delicious) a tall old variety called Alderman that grows taller than me!
And the runner beans that are walking up the poles!!

That was definitely today's exercise!
After supper I carried on cutting quilt squares...I do really need a new cutter...
I checked online and haberdashers are getting far and few between. Even the crafts supermarket is about 35 miles away! 
The one place that I know that I can walk in and buy what I need is in Castle Douglas...45 miles south...in a family run shop that does all sorts of art and fibre supplies.

I cut the first colour of Squares...and the cutter is struggling.

Evening is getting earlier.

This was at 9pm. 



12 comments:

Granny Sue said...

Quite a day. I guess I need to read up on Orangemen and why the parade caused empty shops.
Trying to imagine having peas in August. Here, they would be burned up.
The last cassette, how touching. I like that you will continue to listen tonyour cassettes. So many people just tossed out their old media.

Tom said...

...you will never run out of this and that!

Susan Heather said...

Lovely that Pirate had left a tape for you to find. Days getting longer here.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I noticed how dark it was this morning when I woke up - I quickly went back to sleep again! I threw out all of my cassettes when I moved house - and now rather wish that I hadn't.

JayCee said...

I got rid of all my cassettes when I started to lose my hearing - no point in keeping them!
Sounds like a wee trip to Castle Douglas coming up?

Jeanie said...

The parade sounds fun until you think about how loud it would be! Your garden looks just great. Summer is wonderful for that -- everything fresh! Thanks for coming by today, too!

Steve Reed said...

I didn't realize Orangemen march in Scotland. I thought that was just a Northern Irish thing.

I wonder if it's even possible to buy a new cassette player? Does anyone make them? I would think second-hand is about all that's available these days.

Red said...

You're a busy girl and it sounds like what you've got lined up you will be busier. Sweet of Pirate to leave a tape for you.

gz said...

I think that is all Steve..and this one is in good condition

gz said...

I think there may be next Saturday JayCee...if I can get started early enough and get there as they open... travelling South and I want to arrive early enough to see a friend..

Catalyst said...

I had to read up on the Orangemen. Sounds like a nasty group. I have hundreds of cassettes from my years in broadcasting, plus tapes I exchanged with friends over the years. One of these days they'll all go in the dumpster. (bin, to you I think)

Debby said...

That was a touching little gift from Pirate, and I am sure it gave your heart a jolt.