Monday 12 August 2024

Keeping on..

 Today's first things to do were see the local garage...he is on holiday..well deserved as well.

Then pop into the local NFU office at the mart to talk car insurance....they were on staff training day!!

I want to add my brother to my insurance as it should bring it down at least a little. When I took Pirate off the insurance in April, it went up. My insurance has only risen 50% with the renewal... unlike others' insurance that has really sky rocketed. 

Back again tomorrow.

I like the way the parking spaces are delineated at the parking for the offices at the mart...


No mistaking there..or parking over the line!!

At 6am this morning I was woken by a thunderstorm and torrential rain and hail....

When I arrived home from my fruitless trip the effects were to be seen on the ground...



Stone chippings from the harling had been knocked off by the rain!

The rain had eased off, thankfully, to light showers, but still too wet to do anything outside.

So I carried on with cutting pieces for the quilt.  I am very glad that my neighbour has lent me a brand new rotary cutter to use. It is making the job far easier!


Five done now, two sets of squares plus one single to finish cutting squares. 

Then on to triangles....

17 comments:

angela said...

I wonder why your insurance went up when it was just you.
I hope putting your brother on as well makes it a tad cheaper.
It’s been a long time since we have had a good thunderstorm.
As long as I’m cosy in my home I do love listening to them
Not so much if I’m out camping lol

Tom said...

...thankfully, hail is rare here.

Barbara Rogers said...

I just hate it when trips to do certain things don't pan out. But you at least got more progress on the quilt. Hope the heavy rain didn't damage any of your veggies.

Catalyst said...

Buzzzzzzz! I think of you as being as busy as a bee, buzzing all over to get things done. Or not.

Granny Sue said...

What an aggravation, no one being where they were supposed to be! Wishing you better luck tomorrow.
That cutter is pretty neat!

JayCee said...

Goodness...that must have been quite a cloudburst. We seem to have escaped the worst here overnight but is very windy and squally this morning.

gz said...

The leeks definitely appreciated it!

gz said...

So much to do...but I took the opportunity to go the longer quieter way home and enjoyed that

gz said...

Very windy here like you

Steve Reed said...

Like Angela, I don't get why your insurance went up when you took Pirate off it. And why would it go down when you add your brother? Seems like having two drivers on it should cost MORE, not less!

Bovey Belle said...

A shame that the hailstorm beat some of your harling off. You wouldn't think it was that powerful would you? Sorry you had a fruitless visit to town though.

Great that you can crack on with your quilt. It is going to be lovely. I need to get back to both the ones I have waiting . . .

gz said...

I suppose it could mean that if anything happens, or if you want to do a long journey together there will be someone properly insured at the wheel

Aimz said...

Gosh I wish that was the case here, I have both my partner and son added on my insurance and it put the cost up.

Susan said...

Your quilt is coming along nicely and is a lovely project. I hope the insurance can return to the previous cost. It does seem odd seeing an increase when only one is insured.

Sarah said...

I added our son (who lives in London) as a named driver to my insurance for our Golf estate recently and the cost reduced by £20 pa. Not arguing with that. He is already a named driver on the Polo’s insurance which is in my husband’s name. My husband has Parkinson’s but is still allowed to drive - he was last tested in April by the Parkinson’s nurse - so maybe that was reason. Who knows? It’s not been great weather in Scotland lately I think. Our daughter lives, works and studies in Aberdeen so I keep an eye on the east coast. We got off lightly during the recent heatwave, around 27 degrees max and a gentle breeze. Sarah in Sussex

gz said...

Yes, when Pirate was on the insurance is was a decent amount lower. Maybe I will ask about adding my eldest son.
We have had in the neck in Scotland, especially the west, with more than twice average rainfall.
I haven't been as far as Aberdeen...we usually go to Dundee and have been to Stonehaven and inland from there

Debby said...

I read this on someone else's blog. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it still. Why does your insurance go down when you add a driver?